Sunday, September 17, 2017

Goals

Goals


Why are personal goals important?


1. Goal setting is a spiritual responsibility.  

Paul: “I know that I am not yet what God wants me to be. I haven’t reached that goal, but I keep moving toward it to make it mine because Christ made me and saved me for this. I know that I haven’t yet reached my goal, but there’s one thing I always do. Forgetting the past and straining toward what is ahead, I keep my eyes focused on the goal so that I may one day win the prize that God has called me to receive through Christ in the life above. All of you who are spiritually mature should think this same way, too.” Philippians 3:12-15

2. Goals are statements of faith.

- Goals stretch your faith. Without faith it is impossible to please God.  (Hebrews 11:6)

"Now to him who by the power that is working within us is able to do far beyond all that we ask or think," Ephesians 3:20

“According to your faith will it be done to you.”
Matthew 9:29 

(Let the size of your God be the size of your goal!)

3. Goals focus my energy. 

“I do not run without a goal. I fight like a boxer who is hitting something—not just the air.”
1 Corinthians 9:26 (NCV)

4. Goals help me keep going. 

When you feel like you are going through hell, goals help you keep going.  Jesus kept preaching, loving, and healing although he knew he would endure the cross because he knew the ultimate goal to save mankind.

- You can't learn without mistakes or failures.  Failures help you learn.
- Don't waste your failures.
- Short-term set backs lead to long-term goals.
- Strive for many small steps forward.

Job: “I do not have the strength to endure. I do not have a goal that encourages me to carry on.”
Job 6:11 (NLT)

5. Goals build my character. 

- Drifting doesn't build your character. Without a vision, the people perish (Proverbs 29:18).

Paul: “...I keep striving toward the goal...” Philippians 3:12 (TEV)

6. Good goals will be rewarded. 

If your goals are good, you will be respected.” Proverbs 11:27 (TEV)

“All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step.”

1 Corinthians 9:25-26a (NLT)

Pastor Rick Warren's Sermon

No comments:

Post a Comment