Monday, February 18, 2013

Lent

For lent, I wanted to give up my evening TV time to read my bible and pray.  I've been reading the book of Nehemiah.  I don't remember much about this book of the bible and not sure when the last time I read it.  I was encouraged by our Youth leader at Ignite Missions to start reading this book because we taught the kids about how courageous he was. 

Nehemiah was very sad when he heard his home town of Jerusalem had been attacked after the exile.  The wall of Jerusalem was tore down and the gates set on fire.  He fasted and prayed to God because he was so torn up over the issue and wanted to do something to help his hometown.  Many of us could relate to the end of his prayer:

Nehemiah 1:11 "Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man.
I was cupbearer to the king."
 
Nehemiah asks the king for permission to go home and rebuild the wall to assist his home town.  Because the Lord gave him favor in the King's eyes he was granted this wish.
 
Nehemiah was able to gather men to help him rebuild the wall, however, Sanballat, Tobiah, the Arabs, the Ammonites and the people of Ashdod started to plot against the Jews.  In fact, it caused havoc in Nehemiah's own people.  Many insulted the builders and worried for their safety.  The builders had to hold weapons in one hand and tools in the other.  Half the workers ended up working as security instead of assisting with the rebuilding efforts.  Nehemiah didn't lose heart and still had the same drive to help his people no matter how bad the circumstances got.  
 
In Nehemiah 4:14 "After I looked things over, I stood up and said to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, 'Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.'”
 
 I pray that God will give me the courage, heart, and faith Nehemiah had for his people, family, and his home town.  I pray the words of Nehemiah 4:14 over me family and friends and their daily struggles right now.  I know how it feels to work so hard toward something you believe in only to have people insult you and try to bring you down.  In fact, it is really difficult to stay focused during those times and Satan really uses those insults to tear up your faith in God.  I say this because it has happened to me.  Thankfully, I have had Christian parents, family, and friends who always remind me of the very things Nehemiah said to his people in 4:14. 

Dear God,
Thank you for your word and the story you are showing me in my nightly time with you in your word.  I pray this blog will bless someone else in their walk with you.  Forgive me for losing heart and faith in You when I go through daily trials and tests.  Give me the strength to endure and become stronger to overcome the devil and his plans. In Jesus Name, Amen.

-J

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Nehemiah+1&version=NIV

 

No comments:

Post a Comment