Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Morning Devotion Feb. 19th, 2013

From Rick Warren's Decade of Destiny
"Growth Requires a Teachable Attitude
While you were given a brand new nature at the moment of conversion, you still have old habits, patterns, and practices that need to be removed and replaced.
We are afraid to humbly face the truth about ourselves.
We often build our identities around our defects. We say, "It's just like me to be " and "It's just the way I am." The unconscious worry is that if I let go of my habit, my hurt, or my hang-up, who will I be? This fear can definitely slow down your growth.
Only as God is allowed to shine the light of his truth on our faults, failures, and hang-ups can we begin to work on them. This is why you cannot grow without a humble, teachable attitude.
Godly habits take time to develop. Remember that your character is the sum total of your habits. You can't claim to have integrity unless it is your habit to always be honest.
Your habits define your character. There is only one way to develop the habits of christlike character: You must practice them - and that takes time!
These character-building habits are often called "spiritual disciplines," and they include such things as meditation, prayer, fasting, Bible study, simplicity, stewardship, solitude, submission, service and evangelism."

I Timothy 4:15
Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 


Dear Lord, 
Thank you for revealing to me my habits of worry and stress and how it slows down my prosperity.  Help me to develop more Christlike habits so I can be a better witness for you in our middle school ministry,  triathlon team,  family,  circle of friends, and the general community.  Build in me a driven attitude to continue even when Satan tries to tear me down.  Forgive me when I allow Satan's lies to distract me and become a stumbling block.  Help my family and friends also grow in their their spiritual walk with you and heal my loved ones who are sick.  We know you provide healing and we pray that it is done in a way that your glory will be shown.  Be with us today and the rest of the school/work week and help each one of us excel in the gifts you have given us.  I pray these things in Jesus name, Amen.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment