Thursday, February 21, 2013

Slow doesn't mean the opposite of progress

From Rick Warren's Decade of Destiny,

Delay is not Denial from God
"The Bible is filled with examples of how God uses a long process to develop character, especially in leaders. He took eighty years to prepare Moses, including forty in the wilderness. For 14,600 days Moses kept waiting and wondering, "Is it time yet?" But God kept saying, "Not yet."
Great souls are grown through struggles and storms and seasons of suffering. Be patient with the process.
Don't get discouraged. When Habakkuk became depressed because he didn't think God was acting quickly enough, God had this to say: "These things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day!" (Habakkuk 2:3 LB)
Remember how far you've come, not just how far you have to go. You are not where you want to be, but neither are you where you used to be. God isn't finished with you so keep moving forward. Even the snail reached the ark by persevering!"

I'm glad I read this, like so many other things in my life, my running isn't where I want it to be.  I want to be faster and stronger than I am right now.  However, I have to look how far I have come. In 2011, I never thought I could endure a half-marathon, triathlon, or even a marathon!  Yet, in 2012, I accomplished all of that!  Each for a great fundraising cause, I completed the race and in great time for a new runner and triathlete.  God has brought amazing people in my life to encourage me and bring me the coaching I need.  First of all, my husband and best friend who started making me believe in myself and worked on my form and taught me all of the foundations I needed.  In addition, the cycling community helped me out a ton through the group rides through Tailwinds Cycling.  Then, Rufus Racing has provided not only an awesome circuit of friends for encouragement, but amazing training at each level.  God is so good!  He knows what I need and is prospering me slowly to become a better runner and triathlete.  I'm excited about what God has planned for me for 2013.  Maybe my first pool triathlon in March???  We will see.  I also would like to complete a Warrior Dash.  The money fundraised through the Warrior Dash's go to St. Jude's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment